{ by david linsin }

May 05, 2007

Badische Meile 2007

Today was day zero!

Let me summarize what happened until today: On November 6th of last year I started training for a run called Badische Meile. At first my goal was to hit the top 50, which I condemned pretty soon, after realizing how hard it was to keep up or even increase my pace.

I started training with a distance of 8.1 km and increased it to 8.7 km after a while, which yielded more realistic performances. Overall I did about 35 training runs, with approx. 300 km. The best timing was 8.7 km in 38:51 minutes.

And today was the day of the race. The 18th Badische Meile - 8.88889 km. I had racing number 793 (it's not a prime number by the way), which I got at registration in the morning. There were 3300 runner registered, which is the highest number ever in history of the race. The start was a 3pm at the palace in Karlsruhe.

Actually I thought it would be more crowded with so many runners starting at the same time, but I was surprised that it went pretty smooth. My start was quite good, I ran my own pace and overtook a lot of runners right from the beginning. Surprisingly I had no problems with my legs, in fact, I didn't even feel them during the run. Up to kilometer 6, I had no problems with my stamina, though I was thirsty from the very beginning. I started to get stitches, which made it hard to breath properly, I had to slow down a little bit. Another problem was sickness, I felt like puking at times, fortunately by kilometer 8 everything was gone. So the last couple of meters in the stadium, I did a very good sprint and pushed as hard as possible. I was exhausted after the run, in fact, I've never been that exhausted before running 8.x km. It took me quite a while to get back to normal breathing.

I took my own time, which was 39:09 minutes for 8.8 km with an average heart rate of 183. The official results will be on the website of the Badische Meile. So far they haven't been updated yet.

I must say I'm quite happy with my result. I aimed for a 39:xx time, which I successfully achieved. It was a unique experience, running with a lot of people instead of alone, like usually. It was fun and I accomplished what I trained for.

1 comments:

VEERA ATMAKURI said...

Nice sharing David, thanks for the posting, since last month I started started running first time in my life amd let me see how it goes in my case, my goal is to finish Badische Meile 2010 in 40.00 minutes.

Cheers,
Vijay


com_channels

  • mail(dlinsin@gmail.com)
  • jabber(dlinsin@gmail.com)
  • skype(dlinsin)

recent_postings

loading...