{ by david linsin }

March 18, 2007

FIT for rules

Today I checked out a framework called FIT for rules, which is hosted on sourceforge. I was looking for a way to easily provide a test harness for rules implemented with JBoss Rules. The framework uses Framework for Integrated Test - FIT, which I've blogged about before.

It turns out that the FIT for rules framework tries to provide a single interface for JSR 94 compliant rule engines. This interface is not being invoked programmatically, but by providing configurations, similar to the FIT test itself. The idea of using the JSR 94 specification is great and I think it's the only way to implement this kind of framework. What I don't like is the fact that the configuration of the framework is mixed with the FIT test configuration, but that's just my 2 cents.

Since my drools or now JBoss Rules example is not JSR 94 compliant (another todo), I can't really use the framework without any modification. To provide a simple test harness I updated a former FIT example, which is based on an old version of my drools example. It now uses the latest version with JBoss Rules. The interesting thing is I didn't have to change any code. I only updated the dependencies and the build file. I was surprised myself, especially since the example is about a year old.

I think the FIT approach is great for functional testing, but I'm still looking for some framework or tool which handles unit testing of rules.

0 comments:


com_channels

  • mail(dlinsin@gmail.com)
  • jabber(dlinsin@gmail.com)
  • skype(dlinsin)

recent_postings

loading...